Hurricanes and Tropical Storms don’t often make it up to Maine, but when they do, they can spell trouble for your home. With Hurricane Lee making it's way to Maine and impacting our state as a Tropical Storm, homeowners need to know that being prepared is key. At Home Roofing Solutions, we know that your roof is your first line of defense against the elements, so making sure it's ready for intense rain and high winds is crucial. In this guide, we'll walk you through three essential steps to prepare your roof before the storm and three important actions to take afterward.
Preparing Your Roof Before a Hurricane/Tropical Storm:
1. Inspect Your Roof: The first step in preparing your roof for a hurricane is a thorough inspection. Check for loose or damaged shingles, flashing, or any signs of wear and tear. If you notice any issues, address them immediately. You don't want pre-existing problems to worsen during the storm.
2. Trim Overhanging Branches: Overhanging branches can pose a significant threat to your roof during high winds. Trim any branches that hang over your roof to prevent them from falling and causing damage during the storm. Remember, falling branches can lead to leaks or even structural damage. You should also take pre-cautions and eliminate any dead trees or branches around your yard that could pose a risk of falling during the storm.
3. Secure Loose Items: Your yard may be filled with various items that could become projectiles during a hurricane. Patio furniture, grills, and loose debris can all damage your roof when blown around by strong winds. Secure these items or move them inside to prevent potential damage.
Actions to Take After the Hurricane:
1. Safety First: After the hurricane passes, your safety should be your top priority. Avoid going on your roof if you suspect it's been damaged.
2. Inspect Your Roof: Once it's safe to do so, conduct a visual inspection of your roof from the ground. Look for visible signs of damage, such as missing or lifted shingles, damaged flashing, or debris. Take pictures to document any damage for insurance purposes.
3. Contact a Professional: If your roof is damaged beyond repair, call us at Home Roofing Solutions and one of our Roofing Advisors will come to your home quickly to assess the situation, and recommend the right replacement roof for your home so you’re protected before the next big storm. Home Roofing Solutions specializes in Asphalt Shingle and Metal Roof replacement, using only top quality products to create a storm resistant roof with the best warranties in Maine. This is your opportunity to ensure your roof remains structurally sound and waterproof for years to come.
Remember, taking proactive steps to prepare your roof for a hurricane and acting swiftly after the storm can make a significant difference in minimizing the impact. Home Roofing Solutions, Maine's Professional Roofing Company, is here to help you through every step of the process. Stay safe, stay prepared, and keep your roof in top shape for whatever Mother Nature may bring.
If your roof is beyond repair, give us a call at 207-269-4663 or request a free quote online now, and one of our Roofing Advisors will come to your home anywhere in Maine.